Re: (reiserfs) Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 10:54:12 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I've heard a couple of horror stories about RFS chewing up data. Frankly,
> > whether it loses data or not isn't relevant at this point. You will,
>
> Its very relevant that a file system never loses data - it should panic the
> box rather than do that. That one doesnt worry me for a different reason -
> I know Hans cares a great deal about his fs actually working right.

Interesting; I remember not too long ago some reference to a problem (a
race condition somewhere, IIRC), to which the reply was "I've run a
benchmark and that worked OK". It wasn't Hans himself who said that, but
the comment still reflected badly on the team.

Right now, there seems to be far too much effort going into "Force the
code as it is into the kernel right now", and too little into "OK, it's
not ready to go into 2.4.0, we need to do X, Y and Z."

James.