Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Chris Mason (mason@suse.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 08:57:48 EST

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, James Sutherland wrote:

[...]
> Reiser's antagonism strongly suggests that there will be
> limited cooperation over future development/maintenance; if this is the
> case, the code must be excluded.

If I were an outsider to the reiserfs group, and had just read the recent
flames, I would come to the same conclusion. So, I wanted to reply in
hopes of clearing this up.

If there were going to be limited cooperation over future
development/maintenance, I would be one of the first people in line
rejecting the patch ;-) The reiserfs team does want to cooperate with the
core developers, and Hans tried to organize a forum at the
Libre conference so we could talk with the FS and MM guys. Between that
and OLS, we should get plenty of time to plan new features over the
summer.

The best thing that came out of these flame threads was the converstation
about memory pressure, and I'm confident we will all work together to get
the features needed to make all the journaled filesystems better
(regardless of which kernel version we are included with).

I'm sure that Hans has gotten lots of feedback (public/private) about the
rest of his comments, and I'm hoping we can all move on.

-chris