Re: Problem re- installing a new kernel

From: J Sloan (jjs@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 02:54:36 EST

You wrote

> After having a new kernel installed (linux-2.3.99-pre 6) on RH 6.2,

That's passe, I'd recommend 2.4.0-test1 and then apply the -ac12
patch. Actually -ac15 is working quite well for me, but I have heard
some complaints...

> following problems were discovered
>
> 1) During re-starting the new kernel, following warnings pop-up

Red Hat added sblive drivers to their distro - they are not part
of the standard 2.2 kernel - However, sblive sound drivers are
now in the mainstream as of somewhere recently -

I'm running 2.4.0-test1-ac12 and the sblive drivers are there.
I have a working quake 3 arena and xmms to prove it....

> - Starting NFS locked: lockdsve invalid argument [failed

Harmless.

lockd is not a separate daemon in 2.3.xx, it's internal to the
kernel - just comment out the lockd commands in the
"nfslock" init script -

> (during installation sound was not selected.
>
> Sound card : Creative Live value
> I have no idea whether this new kernel supports this sound card)

The newest 2.4.0-test kernels do include sblive drivers.

> 2) Power Down (Power off)
> The old kernel supports this feature but the new kernel can't.

The new kernel does all that and more, on my system - perhaps
you did not select the correct kernel options?

Just my $.02

jjs