2.2.16 and module versioning

From: jlewis@lewis.org
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 22:54:30 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000 jlewis@lewis.org wrote:

> Has anyone tried building the DAC960 driver as a module with the 2.2.16
> kernel? I've tried with 2.2.16 stock, and 2.2.16 + DAC960-2.2.6. Either
> way, when the initrd loads and tries to insmod DAC960.o, I get:
>
> unresolved symbol waitqueue_lock
>
> stock 2.2.14 and 2.2.15 build with DAC960 as a module and do not have this
> problem.

While looking into this, I've noticed another oddity I suspected was also
a bug in symbol versioning.

[from end of nm on DAC960.o in 2.2.15smp with modvers]
         U vsprintf_Rsmp_13d9cea7
         U wait_for_request_Rsmp_f8c36762
         U waitqueue_lock_Rsmp_fcdc212d

[from end of nm on DAC960.o in 2.2.16smp with modvers]
         U vsprintf_R13d9cea7
         U wait_for_request_R37d32d70
         U waitqueue_lock

This and some messages on the kernel list between Scott McDermott
<vaxerdec@frontiernet.net> and Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au> made it
apparent that the problem is not actually a kernel bug, but a kernel
building problem. When I first compiled from this tree, I was building
for a non-smp system. I've since done make menuconfig ; make dep ; make
clean, make bzImage modules several times switching back and forth between
SMP and non SMP. Apparently you can't do this as module versioning
doesn't get regenerated by these steps. I haven't read the README for
some time (thought I knew what I was doing :), but maybe something should
be added to it cautioning about what happens when you change the value of
CONFIG_SMP and rebuild the kernel and modules.

So, in short, it's not a bug in the kernel code, and not new to 2.2.16.
It's just coincidence that I first ran into it while upgrading to 2.2.16.