ISA soundcards and Alpha...

From: Eberhard Burr (Eberhard.Burr@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 18:59:15 EST

Hello everyone,

Alpha SX164, CS4232 based soundcard; sound stopped working after I
took the box to the Univ. for a day to upgrade from Debian/slink to
potato. I attributed the errors to HW damage first and got another
soundcard (OPL3 SAx). While the CS4232 based card had lost interrupts
(same symptoms as missing persistent-mda-buffer), the other card
appeared to work but caused severe funnies in the SCSI system (from
bus reset to solid lock-up).
Today, I realized that there are a few warnings about pointers being
cast to integer of different size in ad1848.c and in cs4232.c, when
compiling 2.2.16. I "fixed" this by changing some variables from int
to long and now sound works just fine (using the CS4232 based card).
Someone more knowledgeable should eventually look into this since I
did not really understand the code. I think that under some
circumstances, the wrong interrupts get cleared because the cast from
pointer to int.

kind Regards,

--
Eberhard Burr      PGP key ID: DAF93D11    fingerprint: 1D 0B F9 53 E1 CA 21 1A
                                                        91 55 DB C8 1F 4C 0C B6