Re: New slab allocation (pre-alpha)

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 17:06:52 EST

Mark Hemment wrote:

> o Ability to add new general size caches on the fly.
> This is coded, but never tested. Again, will probably cause a
> panic/lockup.
> To avoid having to lock the general cache linkage for SMP
> (searched from a kmalloc(), so a lock would be bad), some
> "tricks" are pulled.

I don't know if this is a step in the right direction:
If we know the general cache sizes at compile time, we can use
__builtin_constant_p() to optimize fixed kmallocs, and most kmallocs are
fixed size.

On my K6/200, compiled for uniprocessor, the stock

        kmalloc(4096,GFP_KERNEL)

is >~ 50% slower compared to a __builtin_constant_p() version.
[kmalloc() + kfree() is 25% slower than fixed_kmalloc() + kfree()]

--
	Manfred