Re: -ac13 buffer.c MAJOR bug

From: Pete Toscano (ptoscano@netsol.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 15:56:48 EST

i've just had the same problem. i went from 2.3.99-pre9 to
2.4.0test1-ac13. the kernel's been randomly crashing since pre6 or pre7
for me. every time until this one, the crash (lockup, really) has been
while running x. no keyboard input is accepted and i cannot ping or
connect to the locked box from other machines on my network. usually,
the lockup seems to occur just after i hear some writing to disk.
(this, of course, is just something i seem to have noticed and far from
any real scientific conclusion.) i've also been unable to make the
lockup happen, i've just had to wait for it. it usually seems to
happen when the load's been high ("make -j bzlilo" for example), but it
also happens under lower load.

because i've been running in x when everything's locked up, i haven't
been able to see any oops message and there's been no oops in the logs
either. this time, i decided to wait it out in console and i got the
attached oops (the ksymoops is also attached).

my machine is a dual p3-600 with 512m ram. asus p2b-d mobo. kernel is
smp-enabled 2.4.0test1-ac13. i also have a promise ultra66 pci card
with my two main hard-drives attached to it running in udma(66) (with
kernel parameter "ide=reverse").

if there are any other details i can provide, please let me know and
i'll report back asap.

i hope this oops is related to my other lockups, but i have a feeling
that it isn't....

pete

--
Pete Toscano      p:sigsegv@psinet.com        w:ptoscano@netsol.com
GPG fingerprint: D8F5 A087 9A4C 56BB 8F78  B29C 1FF0 1BA7 9008 2736