Re: Floppy handling

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 14:45:10 EST

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I don't see why we have to bend over backwards when it's better
> for them to learn to get to grips with UNIX rather than be
> cosseted with historical MS crud.
>
> I thought that making a system easier to learn was an improvement.
> For example, GNOME is meant to make the system more self-evident and
> simpler to learn. I never realized that this was misguided

Really? IMO it was a well-implemented (albeit redundant - Windows does
the thing quite fine) project on driving the hardware prices down, fine
continuation of EMACS efforts in the same direction.

> "cosseting" of the users. Should we eliminate GNOME (and KDE) now ,
> or is it too late?

Certainly we shouldn't - let 'em buy the heaploads of memory to run the
bloatware and drive the prices down.

To be serious, if you compare (as learning aids) GNOME and Bourne's "The
UNIX System" (v7 variant of the book, not Missed'em'V one), well, IMO the
latter wins hands down. (And before you ask - no, I don't think that KDE
is better than GNOME.)