Re: eth0: Something Wicked happened! 001a.

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 14:16:59 EST

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 ferret@phonewave.net wrote:

> I'm getting a lot of these during network forwarding. eth0 is a D-link
> via-rhine, and eth1 is an ne2000 of some kind.

Cc to Marco Colombo, he is also seeing them ... but only on some
motherboards (and so quite possibly for different reasons).

Is it only the messages or do things stop working?
(You may want to compare with the thread
 "via-rhine: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out")

> I think this is only happening during IP masquerating. At least, I also
> have an NFS export on this machine under heavy use and I don't see this
> message on the console unless a machine on my internal network is
> accessing the outside world.

Which card is on the inside/outside?
Is the via-rhine on a 10 or 100 net?
Do you need a lot of outgoing traffic to generate these errors?
Does there have to be any simultaneous internal NFS (etc) traffic for this
to happen?
SMP or UP?

I also have a D-link (DFE530-TX) and some kind of isa-ne2000. Since I
haven't tested 2.2.16 yet, I'm compiling it now with masquerading support.
With a bit of luck I can repeat your problem (as if that will make
anything better :), but I only have one box on the inside.

> I'm using 2.2.15 right now, and I don't recall having this happen to me
> under 2.2.14

Do you get the same messages with:
2.2.16?
2.4.0-test1?