Re: Floppy handling

From: Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.clara.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 03:22:00 EST

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 23:45:52 -0600 (MDT) Fri, 9 Jun 00 09:15:06 BST,
you wrote:

>Is there any possibility of making Linux handle file systems on
>floppies like MSDOS, so that there is no need to explicitly mount and
>unmount a floppy drive in order to access floppies through the file
>system?

Over my dead body, mate. There's the mtools package to do this anyway,
and RH 6.x defaults to non-root users mounting /dev/fd0. I don't see
why we have to bend over backwards when it's better for them to learn
to get to grips with UNIX rather than be cosseted with historical MS
crud. Even CP/M needed to mount floppies.

And besides, I don't want any users copying stuff off our development
machines onto floppies.

Cheers,
Alex.

--
The quality of your life will be determined by
the quality of people in your life.

http://www.tahallah.clara.co.uk