sound breaks up - scheduler prob?

From: Jon Evans (jon.evans@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 18:50:59 EST

Hi,

I've got an ABIT BP6 SMP system running the latest (ac11) kernel but I'm
still finding that xmms sound output breaks up when doing fairly simple
things like scrolling pages in Netscape, or moving windows around the
desktop. The xmms binary is setuid root and "use realtime priority when
available" is selected in the options. The effect is observed both when
using the esd output plugin and the oss output plugin.

The output even breaks up if I renice the xmms process to -20 priority!

I first noticed this a few months back but assumed that it was because
someone was tweaking with the scheduler. I thought I'd report it as it
still seems to be broken.

Jon.