Re: IDE CDROM and dd...

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 20:59:17 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 07 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Jens and lkml,
> >
> > I have consistently had a problem with kernels >= 2.2.x where dd'ing
> > from /dev/cdrom to a file fails. In fact this operation has never
> > worked for me on a CDROM drive faster than 4X, and this behavior is
> > noted across multiple CDROM drivers and multiple IDE controllers.
> > Mounting the CDROM (as opposed to 'dd') works just fine, even under
> > stress.
>
> > end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 1252596
> > ATAPI device hdc:
> > Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
> > Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)
> > hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>
> It looks as if you are hitting a non-mode1 data area after copying
> the first of the disk, cdda or maybe mode2? What disk is this?

Bootable Mandrake 6.1 CD, created by mkisofs. You should be able to
find an identical 6.1 ISO on ftp.linux.tucows.com or similar, if you
want to test exactly what I am testing with. I see this on all the fast
CDROMs I use, though... Mandrake ISOs, Windows driver CDs that come
with hardware, RedHat release CDs, etc. They all fail in a similar
fashion.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.