Re: ABIT -- GENTUS Linux Steals GPL CODE AGAIN!!

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 00:16:10 EST

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Gerhard Mack wrote:

> The last post on the message board seemed to imply the source for their
> kernel was available for download.. is this the case?
>
> If so, they wre blindingly stupid but didn't violate the GPL.

Only if you can build a kernel that is identical to the one you are
booting, but you can not........

In Gentus 1.0 the LM7x serires drivers that are GPL were binaries and no
source to be found.

The rules are simple, you may not ship a kernel with binary objects linked
without the source code available. There is no variation that can be
granted by anyone except Linus.

Simply stating, one can not create a kernel with the source code returned
that is identical to the one shipped for booting.

This is by definition a clear violation of GPL......if I am wrong I want
to be corrected. Note that there are parts of the kernel that are non-GPL
but BSD-like, you can only use this as a module. Linking it to kernel is
not allowed.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy