Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Hans Reiser (hans@reiser.to)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 03:42:42 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 12:11:08AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
> > I want to add reiserfs to linux, not merge it into ext3. This is the crux of
> > the argument. Alan says I should wait until ext3 is added so that I can let
> > them write part of our FS for us.
>
> I actually didn't read it as that. He wrote that it needs checking
> what parts of the journaling code can use common hooks.

Expressed this way I of course agree that it should be done. I don't see why it
should cause reiserfs integration to be delayed though. ReiserFS is easy to
rewrite.:-) I don't see what the problem is with minorly rewriting reiserfs in
2.5 to match whatever API changes are called for. I also hope that we will
contribute some of them. zam is right now working on memory pressure hooks, and
they are intended to be general hooks that we hope the rest of the kernel folks
will like once we have a patch working to submit.

If you say evolve toward a common journaling operations VFS API in 2.5, I nod my
head. If you say delay reiserfs for that API to be defined, I ask why? Define
it and we'll change reiserfs! It is not like we aren't used to changing
reiserfs extensively every year to deal with VFS changes.:-/