reiserfs being part of the kernel: it's not just the code

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 04:48:51 EST

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 12:11:08AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:

> I want to add reiserfs to linux, not merge it into ext3. This is the crux
> of the argument. Alan says I should wait until ext3 is added so that I
> can let them write part of our FS for us.

Hans,

Part of being part of the kernel is cooperation. It's not just the code,
which by what I hear, is excellent.

If reiserfs is to be included, you will from now on have to cooperate very
closely with the kernel people. This is, I believe, a major point. If there
are doubts as to if you are willing to play ball, I would consider keeping
reiserfs separate.

You may be aware of the Donald Becker 'situation', who writes very
beneficial code, but still ran into disagreements with others.

Rephrasing your version of what Alan said 'Alan said I should wait until
ext3 is added so that we can *share common code*'. You are also right,
however, in stating that perhaps we need a reiser-like FS now, instead of
waiting for the Nirvana of complete code reuse.

Being part of the kernel is a lot like marrying, or going on a holliday in a
cramped tent.

I believe Reiser, or NameSys, can be a very good partner in this. You appear
to be a rather solid organisation, with true commitment to quality control
and maintenance. You have also succeded in attracting capable personnel,
which is hard enough these days.

It would be sad to waste this opportunity, for a merged reiserfs is a better
fs. I wish you good luck in cooperating with everybody here, and getting
your filesystem in the kernel.

Regards,

bert 'who would *really* like reiserfs in 2.4' hubert