Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 01:26:52 EST

quade@therim.net (quade@therim.net) writes:

> p.s. reiserfs was a godsend to me. On a squid server I have, using ext2fs
> I had to re-format the partision about once every 6 weeks because it would
> get all messed up. I've had reiserfs on it for the past 7 months and
> havn't had one problem (I had no UPS on it, so a power falure was a hard
> crash, and ext2 kept messing stuff up)

That's bad news, but I seem to recall kernel notes somewhere that in certain
versions of the kernel, ext2 was screwed up. It also seems to not like certain
hardware.

Also, if it's taken you an hour to fsck a 4 GB partition, seems like you're
either running a dog-slow machine, or you've got hardware problems anyway. It
takes me about 20 minutes to run fsck on 25 GB worth of drive space on an AMD
K6-2/266 with 64 MB of RAM.

--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@pobox.com		940/367-2744 cell phone
			http://www.pobox.com/~erc