Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying reiserfs integration)

From: Hans Reiser (hans@reiser.to)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 19:32:40 EST

Most of the use of reiserfs will be experienced by the users for whom patching
the kernel is too much work to do it just for reiserfs.

The reiserfs mailing list is mostly german, because of SuSE bundling it. Many
people are better off spending another $100 on a faster hard drive than learning
to use patch. Now that they've stopped making an effort to keep meaningless
warning messages out of the kernel compile (it was a certain person's SCSI code
that set the trend) it is even scarier to compile a kernel. Do any of you
remember how much you worried the first time you compiled a program off the net,
and it had all sorts of warning messages, and you wondered if you had corrupted
it by doing something wrong? (Ok, this is my pet peeve, sorry, I exaggerate it
and distract)

If we get into Linux, I predict our sponsorships will triple because of it.
That is, the number of people paying us to add customizations of reiserfs will
triple as a result of our being extensively used by people who don't want to
bother patching linux to have reiserfs. That is my paradoxical prediction. We
make enough profit on those customizations to also fund our core development
(though every month I am begging some new accounting department to let me make
my payroll:-) ).

Hans