Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 16:09:00 EST

In <Pine.LNX.4.21.0006052045480.18238-100000@toor.thn.htu.se> Richard Torkar (ds98rito@thn.htu.se) wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, David Luyer wrote:

>> Richard Torkar wrote:
>>
>> > I on the other hand don't see the problem, since a decent coder can use
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > patch/diff so applying the reiserfs patches isn't hard to do...
>> >
>> > Please give some good reasons why applying reiserfs in 2.4.* would be a
>> > good idea. And I don't mean that sarcasticly I mean it out of curiousity.
>>
>> You assume everyone who wants to use reiserfs is a "decent coder"?

> No, I do not assume that. I assume that he can patch a kernel tree.

It's wrong assumptation. I know quite a few sysadmins here who NEVER patched
kernel and NEVER compiled it. And they can not fix "C" code itself. They are
using Mandrake, SuSE and so on and they can setup server (with RAID and
everything) just fine.

> If he can't do that then I would say that he would be pretty lost when it
> comes to dealing with formatting a HD.

They were not :-) If someone can not program he is not stupid - may be it's
just not his job...

> Journaling fs might sound very cool (and it is :) but putting it in the
> kernel means basically (even if it says EXPERIMENTAL) that new users who
> compile their first kernels might try that and after a while *fsck* their
> HD permanentally, which leads to ppl screaming that Linux sucks. And
> nobody wants that.

They can screw HD permanently without even compiling kernel. Just something
like dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda will be enough.