Dumb question for off-list discussion -- WAS: ULTRA ATA/100 announced

From: Bryan -TheBS- Smith (thebs@theseus.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 15:57:39 EST

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> Those upgrading from Ultra ATA/33, will also need to purchase an 80-pin
> conductor cable. The cable, which is plug-compatible with existing ATA
> connectors, has additional ground lines that permit higher data
> transmission rates with improved margins. This reduces the likelihood
> of electronic noise interference.

To hit the largest bunch of techo-masters, I ask this question (and
we should probably take it off list):

At what point do we start twisting the ATA cable pairs like
Ultra2/160 SCSI cables? I know this adds to the cost, but we have
already added to it with the extra 40 ground wires.

Maybe they are saving this for Ultra/266 or something?!?!?!
;->>> 2005 seems a long way off, probably too long to wait for
Serial ATA when drives start bumping up against the 100MBps limit.

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs@theseus.com,b.j.smith@ieee.org