TODO List / State of CML2

From: Chris Lattner (sabre@skylab.org)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 12:32:57 EST

How feasable would it be to extend CML2 and clean up the code base to
avoid having to do a make dep / make clean to be reasonable sure stuff is
consistent?

It seems to me that using 'make' (which is arguably broken for working at
a file level rather than a line level), we could hack this by having CML2
write a different file for each configuration option (ack!), that sets the
value to true or false. The top level config.h file would #include all of
these generated files, and CML2 would only write files when they change
(similar to autoconf). Then when 'make dep' does its work, it makes each
file a dependency, and if a config option is changed, only files that
depend on it are rebuilt.

Seems like a utopia. :) Okay, here are the problems as I see it:

1. Explosion in number of .h files generated by CML2 and occupying space
on HD. If large "clusters" are used, this could occupy a large amount of
space. (but I believe EXT/2 is smarter than that?)
2. Preprocessor will have to dig through *all* of these files when
compiling, which might slow things down a bit. After the first .c file to
compile though, they should stay in the disk cache.

So, love it, hate it? I just dislike having to type 'make clean' when I
do something like enable smp support...

-Chris