[OT] Re: encouraging developer participation

From: Guus Sliepen (guus@warande3094.warande.uu.nl)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 10:25:08 EST

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, S. Baker wrote:

[...]
> The point: Do you want the kernel development to be a friendly
> environment that encourages people to participate by running
> beta code and providing bug reports and fixes? My experience
> thus far has been to the contrary.
[...]

Your problem is not uncommon (just look at the ramfs+initrc thread a few
days ago). And I do agree that your bug (and the ramfs one) is really a
bug, but not getting the reply you want is no reason to start whining
about it. Kernel development is really friendly, and the responses you got
have to be interpreted as "I don't know/care, but IMO <hint>", but not as
a condemnation of your patch.

Yes, it breaks without -O.
Yes, you shouldn't use kernel include files in user space programs.
Yes, nobody compiles kernels without -O so it's not an urgent issue.

It's all true isn't it? So don't attack the people that replied but wait
for another one if they don't please you.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Guus Sliepen.