Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 10:49:43 EST

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Manuel J. Galan Moreno wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > I disagree. As long as the version in 2.4 is bugfixed, I see no problem with
> > > that.
> >
> > Rik is probably right. One thing we try very hard to do is to ensure you can
> > always go backwards. 2.2.15 for example does nothing to your box that means
> > you cannot go back to 2.2.0.
>
> What? so you mean to go backwards from 2.4 to 2.2? This is crazy!

        That is specifically what he did *not* say. He did seem to indicate
that older *filesystems* should be able to be used in newer kernels without
trouble and without corrupting the older *filesystem* such that it will not
work under the kernel it was created under.
        Newer filesystems obviously do not have to be backwards compatible so
that they will work on kernels which did not support them.
        Basically everything should work during a given stable kernel series
(eg 2.0.x, 2.2.x, 2.4.x).

> Try to go from 2.0 to 1.2 or from 2.2 to 2.0..... and you will see interesting
> things.
>
> Get your RedHat 6.2 and plug in a 2.0 kernel and then even winblows will seem
> stable in comparison!
>
> Please Alan, think twice. :-)

        Read what the man wrote before blowing away something which had nothing
to do with what he wrote. :)

                Stephen