Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: David Luyer (david_luyer@pacific.net.au)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 09:50:33 EST

Richard Torkar wrote:

> I on the other hand don't see the problem, since a decent coder can use
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> patch/diff so applying the reiserfs patches isn't hard to do...
>
> Please give some good reasons why applying reiserfs in 2.4.* would be a
> good idea. And I don't mean that sarcasticly I mean it out of curiousity.

You assume everyone who wants to use reiserfs is a "decent coder"?

I'd say that's a pretty flawed assumption.

Keeping it out of the mainstream kernel keeps it away from the mainstream
users. People who know how to run a Linux system in general but have never
actually had to compile anything (since Debian, RedHat, etc do such a good
job of making things available in packages). What the distributions ship in
their kernels is strongly influenced by what is in the base kernel.

Besides which, the reiserfs on-disk format sounds like they've handled it
better than the ext2fs transition[1], backwards compatibility with optional
automatic conversion by specifying a mount option, as opposed to backwards
compatibility but you have to re-build your filesystem if you want to change
up in formats. So where is the great problem with reiserfs?

David.

[1] which is not to say there was anything wrong with the 2.0 to 2.2 ext2fs
    transition, the characteristics of being able to use the old version under
    2.2, being able to build the old version under 2.2 and being able to use
    2.2 and return to 2.0 are the most important ones and are all there. just
    to say that reiserfs have met these requirements and more in their last
    version change, so there is little evidence of a real problem on these
    grounds.

David Luyer
Senior Network Engineer
Pacific Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd
Phone:  +61 3 9674 7525
Fax:    +61 3 9699 8693
Mobile: +61 4 1064 2258, +61 4 1114 2258
http://www.pacific.net.au        NASDAQ: PCNTF
<< fast 'n easy >>