Re: Hot pluggable CPUs ( was Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary) )

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 17:38:16 EST

David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com> said:
> as an example of this, I am currently evaluating sparc system that has
> N+N+N redundancy (with voting), this system will cost ~$80K compared to a
> single system at <$10K. for some of our firewalls it may well be worth
> it.

And it has probably non-standard hardware and software to match. Sure, if
talented hackers get their hands on such machines and the corresponding
docu, they'll come up with support for it on short notice. But I very much
doubt all such machines do this in the same (or even similar) way, so you'd
end up with a heap of different, incompatible stuff. Also, being _very_
expensive (10 times or so in your case), this won't be remotely mainstream
enough to warrant inclusion in stock kernels (or userland distributions,
for that matter). At least not for quite some time to come.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616