Re: LINUX Jobs for 2.4 update [scsi]

From: Justin T. Gibbs (gibbs@FreeBSD.org)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 17:35:57 EST

> The main problem with not using TUR is that I believe that INQUIRY
>is not required to be sensitive to the LUN number. In other words, an
>INQUIRY in order to detect whether a lun is actually present at a given
>lun number, you also need to do a TUR.

The peripheral qualifier bits of the inquiry response are set to indicate
the state of the lun as either connected, offline, or not addressable.
The connected state does not indicate that the device is ready to be
accessed, but the probe code should not be responsible for this
determination.

FreeBSD's probe code has probed high luns without using a TUR for over
three years now. It is not required and, as Gerard has mentioned, can
be harmful.

--
Justin