Re: CML2 0.2.0

From: Francesco Chemolli (kinkie@mika.elet.polimi.it)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 03:47:59 EST

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Francesco Chemolli <kinkie@mika.elet.polimi.it>:
> > Maybe some four-state toggle for the UI
> > (force-as-no-and-force-all-dependants-as-no, weak-and-module (default),
> > weak-and-builtin, strong) could be a good UI element.
>
> No. No. A thousand times *no*. This is exactly the kind of nasty
> UI complication I want to avoid -- it makes modeling the interface's
> behavior too hard for the user.
>
> We'll have *one* set of clear, *simple* deduction rules, with a
> possible fallback to "ask the user" in case the right thing is not
> deducible. I'll be happy to join an argument about what the rules
> should be -- one advantage of the declarative-language-plus-Python
> strategy is that trying out new deduction rules has low overhead --
> but on the meta-principle of one simple set I will not budge.

Okay :-)
Just to make myself clear. The four-state toggle would have been meant to
describe the various enabled modules. I thought it to be intuitive, but I
might be wrong, or it might be simple according to my mindset but not to
others'.

It's all right to ask the user when some kind of inference is done (i.e.
selected module foo requiring bar, if foo as module, shoudl I have bar as
a module?)`, but I wouldn't like, if I select an option with many
dependencies, to be greeted by 15 pop-ups requiring me to enter input,
that's all.

--
  Kinkie
   primary e-mail: kinkie@kame.usr.dsi.unimi.it

[random fortune] Got a dictionary? I want to know the meaning of life.