Abit KA7 PCI problems?

From: John Fulmer (jfulmer@appin.org)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 19:36:23 EST

Having a problem with my new Abit Athlon MB.

I just replaced a FIC SD-11, which was working just fine, with an
identical system, except for the motherboard. Everything works fine
(except for a known 'jumping' problem with the KA7's and the PS/2
mouse, erk!), except for my ES1371 (Creative AudioPCI) card, which
worked fine in the old system. What happens is that everytime the
card is accessed for more than a few seconds (like a realaudio
stream, or mp3 file), the system locks hard and there is a high
pitch tone coming from the card. I have to reset the system to
reboot. The magic syskey doesn't even work.

Oddly, if I just briefly access the card, like a 'cat /etc/group >
/dev/dsp' for a bit of white noise, it works okay. I tried this with
both the ALSA drivers (which worked fine on the SD-11 mobo) and the
2.2.15 kernel driver for the ES1371. I've also swapped out the card
for an identical one, and replace the memory as well, just to get
them out of the way. I also don't have any Athlon 'power' problems,
either.

The system (sans audio) is working perfectly, including the VIA
ATA/66 controller (26MB per sec, whee!) and even the VIA AGP GART
works for utah-glx and my G400 (960fps in 'gears'), using the
'unsupported' flag for the agpgart.o module. (BTW, I've tested with
and without the GART, so don't go there). Changing interrupt and/or
PCI slots also seems to have no effect, and I've put the BIOS
settings about as conservative as I can go. AFAIK, I have no
conflicts going on, and I've changed about everything I can change.

Has anyone else seen this, or have a similar configuration? I'm
especially curious if this is a KA7 problem or a VIA KX133 problem
in general. I would be interested in anything I can do to
troubleshoot the problem.

Please CC: me on any responses, since I haven't been monitoring this
list for awhile.

Thanks,

jf