patents (was: Cryptography in the kernel)

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 01:14:06 EST

David Weinehall writes:

> Well, even if/when the crypto-patches goes into the kernel it'll
> be dumbed down, because it won't have those crypto-algorithms
> that are patented in the US. Most of the rest of the world has
> no algorithm-patents but the US has...

Must this be the case? I could imagine the following Configure.help
entry, along with a matching #ifdef...#endif pair.

US Patent 533443 licence or exemption
CONFIG_US533443707
  This option allows use of US Patent 533443707. You must say N
  unless you have a licence or exemption for US Patent 533443707.