Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 10:07:31 EST

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Arne Thomassen wrote:
> > W Replace the big kernel lock with more fine-grained locking as far as
> > possible (completely? ;-)
>
> The correct thing to do is to fine-grain when we notice contention.
> Fine-graining "as much as possible" is a direct way to hell.

W Automatic compile-time lock correctness checker :-)

Note that excessive fine-graining is also a direct way to *slow
everything down*. Even uncontended locks have overhead, and more locks
mean more overhead. Which is why Marcelo is right from a "raw speed"
perspective. Of course it is also right from a software engineering
perspective, but a lock correctness checker would simplify that :-)

-- Jamie