Re: Newbie Question

From: Tim N. van der Leeuw,,, (t.n.vanderleeuw@chello.nl)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 08:22:11 EST

Hello Sharon,

I'm suspecting some fundamental confusion on your side. That's not a big
issue of course, we've all been newbies once.

But first, to get a few things straight:
'Redhat', 'Debian' and 'Slackware' are all different distributions. They
all come with a partiular kernel version, compiled with certain options,
etc. The kernel you are running on your computer can be either the
RedHat kernel, *or* the Debian kernel, *or* the Slackware kernel. But it
can not be more than one of them at the same time!

Anyways, the kernel you are running is version 2.2.12, and you say it
has some issues with an application you are using... I don't know which
application it is? That information might give somebody on the list a
clue what is going on.

Downgrading or upgrading the kernel is a matter of downloading the
source, compiling it and installing it. (I would personally recommend to
first upgrade to a newer version, like 2.2.14 or 2.2.15, and then try a
downgrade to 2.2.10 if it still doesn't work.)

There are several tutorials and help-pages on the web to get you started
compiling kernels, but unfortunately I don't have any URL's at hand.
Perhaps there is some documentation on this included in your
distribution's manuals?

Regards,

--Tim