Re: [NFS] Re: Linux 2.2.16pre5 - NFS?!

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 04:41:46 EST

neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au said:
> On Tuesday May 30, F.vanMaarseveen@inter.NL.net wrote:
> > - knfsd cannot handle exported subdirs with different permissions
> > such as "rw" versus "ro" (I believe) unless they are different
> > [local] mounts on the server.

What's the point? I always thought you could trivially get access to
anywhere under the mountpoint if you had access to a subdirectory. Is that
no longer the case with knfsd? Can I export /mountpoint/subdir and know that
the clients can't actually get into /mountpoint?

> > - when exporting a locally mounted cdrom it is no longer
> > possible to umount the cdrom until "exportfs -r" is issued
> > once it has been mounted over NFS. knfsd keeps it busy.

> These differences have always been there, and aren't about to go away,
> but aren't really an issue.

The fact that you can't unmount an exported filesystem, and that you have
to explicitly export it after mounting it, could be fixed by adding extra
cruft to {u,}mount(8). But it's a userspace issue.

Actually, I'd quite like to fix the 'having to unexport' problem by adding
timeouts to the kernel's export entries, so you can unmount it if nobody's
accessed it by NFS in the last <n> seconds. But I've been saying that for
months, and haven't got round to doing it properly yet. :)

--
dwmw2