Re: [NFS] Re: Linux 2.2.16pre5 - NFS?!

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 19:04:59 EST

On Tuesday May 30, F.vanMaarseveen@inter.NL.net wrote:
> > If that is not the case, then the "new" kernel code needs to be
> > fixed. Are there any known failure scenarios?
> I'm not sure about the following (should be easy to verify with
> a clean installation of major distributions):
>
> - Startup scripts, particularly for lockd.
> - Properties of new knfsd. Might be a non-issue when knfsd is
> always the default. Think of:
> - knfsd cannot handle exported subdirs with different permissions
> such as "rw" versus "ro" (I believe) unless they are different
> [local] mounts on the server.
> - when exporting a locally mounted cdrom it is no longer
> possible to umount the cdrom until "exportfs -r" is issued
> once it has been mounted over NFS. knfsd keeps it busy.
> - [no]hide and other export options?

For the first two, the new knfsd behaves exactly the same as the old
knfsd. These issues look like differences between unfsd and knfsd.
These differences have always been there, and aren't about to go away,
but aren't really an issue.

The third: new options are available, but the default is the old
behaviour.

NeilBrown