Re: submitting patch?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 21:06:48 EST

Can you fix your mailer to word wrap at 72 (or so) columns?

Chen-Li Tien wrote:
> Is this patch for kernel 2.2 -> 2.4 and can it support kernel 2.2 and 2.4 in the same file? We consider supporting 2.4 is important but I prefer one source code for both version to simplify maintanance.

It is possible to support both kernel versions with a single source
file. If you include <linux/version.h>, you may then test
LINUX_VERSION_CODE like

        #ifdef LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,3,0)
        /* kernel 2.3.x or later code */
        #else
        /* kernel 2.2.x compatibility code */
        #endif

However this makes code tough to read and maintain. My own recommended
approach is to target kernel version 2.4.x, and then use a compatibility
toolkit to make the driver work under 2.2.x. <plug plug> The toolkit I
wrote for this purpose is at http://gtf.org/garzik/drivers/kcompat24/

You can also take a look at the approach taken by
drivers/sound/maestro.c, which accomplishes compatibility by creating
its own compatibility defines.

> BTW, how to join linux kernel team? C-media would like to provide better Linux driver support and there is already a 3.29 in testing, which will solve playback stop with heavy network access. I hope I can post next driver source to
> potential beta testers before published in C-Media's official site.

There is nothing to join :) The kernel developers frequent the
linux-kernel mailing list, so it is recommended that you join that to
keep track of any cmpci patches and bug reports which appear. (Due to
high traffic, you may wish to join linux-kernel-digest instead) There
is also a linux-sound mailing list, but that doesn't get a whole lot of
traffic.

But basically, the only thing you HAVE to do to participate is e-mail
cmpci patches to Alan Cox, the maintainer of the kernel sound subsystem.

> What's the date will kernel 2.4 be released? I want to keep pace.

Unknown. When most of the bugs are fixed.. :)

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.