Re: 2.4.0test1-ac4 - mount problem

From: Chad Schwartz (cwslist@main.cornernet.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 17:05:32 EST

Because at this point, the simple upgrade of a kernel, quite literally,
breaks behavior, compared to every single other UNIX out there. (And some
programs my very well DEPEND upon mount returning an error if an FS is
already mounted.

yes, policy belongs in userspace.

however, this "policy" has been set, in previous..

The least we could do, is not break what precedents have been set.

Rule #1) Never change behavior of a userspace app that may already have
been written to depend on something.

Hell, I may be entirely wrong here. But, seems to me that if I write a
userspace program, I'd really like to be able to depend on a particular
interface's behavior, rather than having to go bug hunting every time I
upgrade kernels.

 Chad