Re: Can't recognize Adaptec APA-1480 with 2.4.0-test1-ac4

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 12:39:35 EST

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 03:33:08AM -0700, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> In other notes, I built the latest card services against my kernel
> 2.2.13 and while it gets further along in talking to the card, there is
> stuff that is out of sync and now the system I _had_ considered my
> stable Linux version won't complete booting. I think it hangs during
> the card services initialization.
>
> It really should work to use the same card services programs against any
> version of the kernel; things like the modules might reasonably need to
> be built against the kernel tree, but I don't think it's cool at all
> that having different versions of things like this hangs your system.

I don't understand what's going on here, but having different versions
of things is itself not a problem, and the same card services programs
do indeed work across different kernel versions. I do this all the
time, rebooting between 2.0, 2.3, and 2.2 kernels with the same copy
of cardmgr etc.

There are various things that can cause the PCMCIA modules to fail at
startup time. The PCMCIA-HOWTO has some instructions for how to debug
these sorts of problems.

-- Dave