Re: Can't recognize Adaptec APA-1480 with 2.4.0-test1-ac4

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 01:44:11 EST

(resent because of bogosity in netscape mail client)

OK I got my module linking problems straightened out.

I was doing this a lot:

depmod -a

and I'd get a lot of undefined symbols.

If I did this:

depmod -a -F /System.map

I would only get a few (midi and IP filtering) but it wouldn't help. I
was led astray by reading that depmod was supposed to work with the
running kernel, so I kept making sure that I'd booted off a kernel and
then trying depmod again.

This worked:

depmod -ae 2.4.0-test1-ac4

Now my modules load fine.

However, card services still doesn't recognize my Adaptec 1480, so I
think I have a genuine bug and not just massive user error as before.

I've seen mentions in other email on linux-kernel entitled "is aic7xxx
broken in 2.4.0-test1-ac5" that indicates others are having trouble with
this SCSI driver too. The 1480A uses the aic7xxx driver.

On thing I tried was adding:

insmod /lib/modules/2.4.0-test1-ac4/pcmcia/apa1480_cb.o

just before /sbin/cardmgr is initiated in /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia. I
thought maybe the module wasn't loading but that doesn't seem to be the
problem.

Pretty cool that the aic7xxx driver supports everything from a wee
cardbus card to the 64-bit dual-channel ultra-160 Adaptec 39160.

Again I'm happy to try any patches or tests anyone wants me to try.

BTW - some kind soul pointed me to GNU GRUB last night. Best thing
since sliced bread. One reason I was using the NT boot manager was
because my fiance could understand it. She won't use anything but
windows (and prefers Windows 95 but will use NT) no matter how much I
try to show her anything is better. To keep her happy I have to make it
easy for her to boot into BillsOS.

But with GNU GRUB I can just stick a kernel in the root directory and
reboot. No problem about forgetting to do a lilo or anything. I don't
even have to add it to the boot menu if I can remember the filename, not
too hard.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub

And it overcomes the 1024 cylinder limit that was making me install my
kernels on my FAT partition.

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com
crawford@goingware.com