Can't recognize Adaptec APA-1480 with 2.4.0-test1-ac4

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 04:19:30 EST

Hi,

I get a message about my Adaptec 1480A SlimSCSI card being an
unidentifiable and unsupported card when I boot with the Linux
2.4.0-test1-ac4 kernel.

I previously posted a message to the linux-kernel list about the card
services software being out of sync. To fix this, I got the
pcmcia-cs-3.1.15 sources from sourceforge.org and built them in sync
with my kernel.

Unfortunately, I scragged my old card services installation by not
installing the new ones to an alternate location. But interestingly,
when I boot of my old Linux 2.2.13 kernel with the new card services
(this would have the old 2.2.13 kernel modules and stuff, but the new
card services daemon), the card is correctly identified - so the card is
still functioning and I guess I can probably build the latest card
services to the older kernel tree and have it work, which I'll try.

So here's what I have:

Compaq Presario 1800T 450 MHz Pentium III laptop
described in detail at http://www.goingware.com/laptop

Linux 2.4.0-test1-ac4 kernel
pcmcia-cs-3.1.15 card services
AIC7XXX version is given in the source code as 5.2.0

apa1480_stub.c has version "apa1480_cb.c 1.19" in the kernel
drivers/scsi/pcmcia directory
but note that apa1480_stub.c has version 1.21 in the
pcmcia-cs-3.1.15/clients directory

This occurs whether I have SCSI linked statically or built as a module.
Also when I had scsi as a module, the aic7xxx driver was a module and
when scsi was statically linked so was the aic7xxx driver.

I'm happy to try any patches or tests anyone may request.

Michael D. Crawford
GoingWare, Inc. - Expert Software Development and Consulting
http://www.goingware.com
crawford@goingware.co