Re: Message for Andre Hedrick

From: Tkil (tkil@scrye.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 14:30:29 EST

>>>>> "Jens" == Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de> writes:

Jens> I just inquired with Plextor (Europe) two days ago, hopefully
Jens> they will respond and provide support. I don't mind doing the
Jens> support for them, if they can just provide me with the answers I
Jens> need and sample hw.

Just to make sure I was clear in my first message, it seems that
Plextor Europe is already doing a pretty good job of supporting the
SCSI drives they sell in Europe under Linux. They publish the raw
firmware on their support site:

   http://www.plextor.be/english/technical/download2.html

and Joerg Schilling has written a firmware uploader for those drives
that runs under Linux:

   http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/firmware.html

If nothing else, you probably want to get in contact with him before
you ask Plextor for any more information.

My particular problem is that my model (the PX-40TW) is not supported
by Plextor Europe, so they don't have the binary firmware for it.

So it's not Plextor Europe's problem; in fact, I'd like to commend
them for going as far as they have gone. The fact that they require
NDA for speed control and firmware upgrades is silly, but at least
they're trying. It's Plextor USA that is being stubborn and useless.

Thanks,
t.