Re: matrox+history+xoff=fbcon/linux crash?

From: Benson Chow (blc@ez0.ezlink.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 12:57:33 EST

More clues...

- Single CPU kernel doesn't crash on this machine
- VESAFB on Matrox MilleniumII appears to work fine.
- removal of spin_[un]lock_irq[save|restore] from printk.c appears to also
clear the problem but slows things down(??? this doesnt make sense).
- I appear to have hardware trouble, and the computer is oopsing with
"NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU0" and CPU1
followed by "console shuts up..." (but computer is still operational after
the oops)
- I also oopsed in fsck, indicating some other weird problem (when I
removed the spin/irq spinlocks from printk)(again, computer is still
operation after the oops)
- disabling scrollback makes it work fine...

hmm. I think i better upgrade my CPUs to something that were not at one
point subject to overclocking...

The matrox/smp crash have several corrupted characters on the screen when
it crashes... also the computer then can respond to 1 network ping, and
then is totally dead. weird!

Anyone else have this configuration and can verify the crash?

-bc