Re: pppd bugs (Linux PPP kernel driver suckage)

From: Florian-Daniel Otel (otel@ce.chalmers.se)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 12:36:26 EST

> Hi Florian, you don't know me
> i saw a post you made at
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9910.2/0675.html
> about bad frames (bad fcs, then frame, count=55, or whatever).
> I just wondered if you sorted out the problem. I have the same issue at
> the moment, with the same symptoms.

Well, not directly, but i found a work-around. After speaking with
Paul Mackerras (pppd maintainer) days worth of debugging [well, i
spare the rest of the pain] seems that Linux 2.2 kernel ppp driver
sucks. Plain and simple. Right now i'm using that same setup (PPP over
SSH running over a 100 Mbps Eth) but the server side of the connection
is now a _fast_ dual Ultra60/Solaris8 machine. The Solaris is running
same PPP version (pppd-2.3.11) as the client side (Linux, 2.2.15) but
with the Solaris kernel drivers supplied w/ pppd-2.3.11 as modules. Why this
works like a heavenly bliss and using Linux as a server
sucks...Well...i don't care anymore :)

In the plans was to try one of the 2.3 kernels, see if bundled PPP
driver is any better. Needless to say, it never happened. Also, i was
planning to try sparc-linux on the same hardware to really
pinpoint the PPP kernel driver as the source of troubles. (I've tried
sparc-linux on the server side but on a slower dual-SS20 and the
same suckage happened, but there you might blame hardw. performance).

All in all, what i would do is try a 2.3. kernel / latest-greatest
PPP kernel driver on some fast machine (in case you really intend to
push it _hard_ ;) ) . Not much hope, but still, might worth a shot.

If you have any results/experience with that, i will be glad to hear
from you.

Hope this helps (somehow),

> TIA
> michael conry

Florian.

P.S: I Cc: this into linux-kernel noise, maybe someone will pick up
the issue - despite the total lack of any analysis/anatomy of the
claimed PPP kernel driver problem...>)