UnixWare versus Linux, and 2.4 i686 PAE mode

From: Warren Young (tangent@cyberport.com)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 12:58:36 EST

Over the past nine months or so I've maintained a pair of articles
comparing SCO UnixWare and Linux. (Why? These are the two server
systems we use at work, and it's a question that comes up a lot on the
newsgroups.) The articles are now five generations old, so they've come
quite close to blandly fair. :)

Linux is chasing features from Solaris and Windows NT/2K, but there's
other competition worth noting, too.

There are now three articles: a technical UW-vs-Linux comparison, a
separate UW-vs-Linux comparison that splits out the philosophical
issues, and a kind of sidebar that explains the i686's PAE mode, which
UnixWare supports and I understand Linux 2.4 will support. This latter
is the shakiest of the three, so if some of the VM wizards here would
give it a look, I'd be glad for any corrections.

You can find the articles at http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/ix/

--
= Warren Young, maintainer of the Winsock Programmer's FAQ at:
=     http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/