Re: UnixWare versus Linux, and 2.4 i686 PAE mode

From: Christoph Rohland (cr@sap.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 03:36:49 EST

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > Of course a single-process can use more than 3GB of memory by using
> > shared memory and mapping and unmapping parts of the memory as
> > needed. This is what SAP R/3 will do on Linux 2.4.
>
> So you in fact implemented Unixware dshm in user space ?

I do not know about dshm. We have a very complex memory management in
R/3 and different modes we can use. One mode relies on posix shm to
only map the current context. There is another one which uses plain
SYSV shm and one that uses mmap MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED.

Posix shm does give us all the features we need.

Greetings
                Christoph