Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Davide Libenzi (davidel@maticad.it)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 05:08:36 EST

> I've tried menuconfig, xconfig, and the like. Last I looked,
> you had to specifically hunt for what you needed, and it was far from
> intuitive what subheadings they lived in. Not to mention the obscure,
> interesting, or fun options you can come across.

I don't want to seem that kind of guys that likes to push software in
computers
with numeric keypad linked into serial port, but why we need more friendly
then menuconfig or xconfig ?
Not all users need to rebuild the kernel, and if users feels afraid by
*config probably they fall
forgetting some essential driver or feature that makes its machine not
properly working or
even locked down.
Most distro comes with practically all modules precompiled so that adding a
new driver is as easy as editing
a boot file.

Now if such building tool is published as an external ( read very optional )
package that can or can not be installed by means of individuals choice,
it's ok.
The thought to include it into the kernel make me feel a bit depressed.

Davide

--
Feel free, feel Debian !