Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 09:31:36 EST

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Ed Carp <erc@pobox.com>]
> > That's *stupid*. What about all those cool
> > linux-router-in-a-box-boot-off-a-folppy sort of distributions? They
> > sure can't use Debian...
>
> Sure, they just have to recompile packages. Debian was never meant to
> be one-size-fits-all, and recompiling isn't all that hard.
>
> I actually ran into this problem once. I had an old Debian install on
> a laptop and it was nowhere near an Internet connection or a Debian CD,
> and the install was somewhat broken, and xlib was nowhere to be found,
> and I wanted to run Emacs. I ended up compiling a lib full of stubs
> and relying on Emacs not to try calling them. It worked.
>
> This approach could be taken by the router-on-a-floppy types. Debian
> already has a "svgalib-dummy" package similar to what I did above, so
> that you can run svgalib-capable packages like ghostscript without
> needing svgalib. I've often wondered what has prevented any Debian
> developers for doing the same with xlib.

Of course, virtually everything you need is either

a.) Non-xlib dependent (in fact, the only package that did depend on
xlib on my PS/2 56slc2 was mtools... NO, don't ask me why. It's a
long story based on idiocy.)

b.) Exists in a non-xlib version (that is, VIM, for instance.)

I ran Debian a looooooong time before installing xlib; in fact, the only
reason I installed it was because of mtools. And mtools could easily
be repackaged not to require xlib by removing one, non-core, program
from the package.

/David
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </