Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 22:11:49 EST

[Ed Carp <erc@pobox.com>]
> That's *stupid*. What about all those cool
> linux-router-in-a-box-boot-off-a-folppy sort of distributions? They
> sure can't use Debian...

Sure, they just have to recompile packages. Debian was never meant to
be one-size-fits-all, and recompiling isn't all that hard.

I actually ran into this problem once. I had an old Debian install on
a laptop and it was nowhere near an Internet connection or a Debian CD,
and the install was somewhat broken, and xlib was nowhere to be found,
and I wanted to run Emacs. I ended up compiling a lib full of stubs
and relying on Emacs not to try calling them. It worked.

This approach could be taken by the router-on-a-floppy types. Debian
already has a "svgalib-dummy" package similar to what I did above, so
that you can run svgalib-capable packages like ghostscript without
needing svgalib. I've often wondered what has prevented any Debian
developers for doing the same with xlib.

Peter