Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 01:49:40 EST

James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk>:
> > Even if this weren't true, we'd be trading dependencies and not adding
> > one. The Perl stuff in the scripts directory will go away shortly
> > (that is, assuming that Linus approves the CML1->CML2 change). This
> > would be a net gain in kernel autonomy, as Perl *can't* be compiled away.
>
> perlcc?

Is, I'm told, a kluge much like the freeze tool. You can compile away
control structure but you end up carrying around most of Perl as
runtime support.

--

Strict gun laws are about as effective as strict drug laws...It pains me to say this, but the NRA seems to be right: The cities and states that have the toughest gun laws have the most murder and mayhem. -- Mike Royko, Chicago Tribune