Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 15:37:47 EST

Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>:
> Not only. Dependency on Python is definitely a problem - not everyone uses
> 'everything and a kitchen sink' type of userland.

I'm aware of the problem :-). Python programs can be compiled to
portable C sources using the `freeze' tool. The translation is
inelegant (it embeds a Python byte-code interpreter in the generated
C) but it works. So a working CML2 configurator can be shipped for an
environment without Python.

Even if this weren't true, we'd be trading dependencies and not adding
one. The Perl stuff in the scripts directory will go away shortly
(that is, assuming that Linus approves the CML1->CML2 change). This
would be a net gain in kernel autonomy, as Perl *can't* be compiled away.

--

If I were to select a jack-booted group of fascists who are perhaps as large a danger to American society as I could pick today, I would pick BATF [the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms]. -- U.S. Representative John Dingell, 1980