Re: OSS/Free /dev/audio full duplex sound format.

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 13:09:12 EST

Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by paco@hydrofunk.org on May 22, 2000, at 15:29]
>
> >As for why it switched on you in the first place... I have no idea.
>
> I'm using the 2.2.12-20 kernel, as suplied by RedHat6.1, and the OSS/Free
> drivers which it contains. If I open /dev/audio just for input (O_RDONLY), then
> it delivers sound in mu_law format. If I open it just for output (O_WRONLY),
> then it interprets sound in mu_law format. If I open it for both input and
> output (O_RDWR), then it delivers sound in mu_law format, but, and this is my
> problem, it interprets sound in unsigned 8-bit format (as though it were
> /dev/dsp).

An easy answer might then be "don't do that". :)

Are you checking DSP_CAP_DUPLEX?

And what makes you say "as though it were /dev/dsp"? /dev/audio is
supposed to default to 8-bit, /dev/dsp is supposed to default to 16-bit.

Are you following the OSS guide at
http://www.opensound.com/pguide/oss.pdf ? It doesn't contain a few
2.3.x features, but it should be fairly close to the 2.2.x API.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Liberty is always dangerous, but
Building 1024            | it is the safest thing we have.