pre9-4 OOM VM lockups

From: t.n.vanderleeuw@chello.nl
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 11:12:16 EST

Hi,

with pre9-3 and pre9-4 I'm experiencing lockups when OOM.
A random process will be killed (NOT the runaway process) and the
computer hangs solid after that (still pingable, but nothing else
works, not even VT switching or capslock toggle).

I don't know if this goes wrong under pre9-2 or other versions as well,
because it happened to me this morning only running pre9-3, and I can
now repeat it on pre9-4.

(I thought that with the latest patches of Juan Quintela this shouldn't
happen anymore, and I thought that his patch against pre9-3 has gone
into pre9-4. But either of those assumptions can be wrong. Should I
test with pre9-3 and Juan's patch for pre9-3?)

The machine is a P5mmx UP with 64MB; the process causing the OOM is a
runaway dpkg/debconf perlscript with infinite recursion.

--Tim