Re: A few questions.

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 20:53:50 EST

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Rakesh Mathur wrote:
> - Does anyone have a list of companies/organizations
> that have published software tools for linux kernel
> development? Is there a webpage out there that lists
> these companies.

The only software tool required for Linux kernel development is gcc (and
all the friends like gas/binutils etc) which is part of GNU and AFAIK
Cygnus (now Red Hat) was mainly responsible for it (with contributions
from others of course, as becometh all good GPL software).

> - Does anyone have a list of journals/peroidicallys
> published for Linux developers especially kernel
> developers?

Linux Magazine (not to be mistaken with Linux Journal) seems to have had
recently quite a few very nice (and uptodate!) articles by Alan Cox which
was the main (well, only) reason I subscribed to it.

> - Is there a document that describes the SMP design of
> Linux?

Yes, Alan Cox wrote Documentation/smp.txt and smp.tex but, as with any
document on Linux kernel internals, it is out of date. The way to
understand Linux/SMP architecture is from bottom up - i.e. first read
Intel MP v1.4 specification and imagine what a typical implementation
would look like, then read arch/i386/kernel/*.c and understand the
concrete implementation; then read the SMP primitives (spinlocks, IPIs
etc) and understand how to use them. Then, reading the way the primitives
are used in particular contexts (process context, irq, bottom half
etc) and noting the differences (and also reading
Documentation/spinlocks.txt) will give you some idea on the assumption
Linux kernel makes when running on SMP. I guess that is what you meant by
"SMP design of Linux"..

Regards,
Tigran